The City of Regina has reached a deal to purchase 17.39 acres of land at the Canadian Pacific Railyard. At the moment the CP Intermodal Yard sits here. From 2013 to July 0f 2014 CP will continue to use the land after the City has purchased it until they can finish relocating their operations to the Global Transportation Hub._
The City was originally negotiating to buy the whole 33-acre CP Rail yard, and a stadium would have fit on this site, but CP is moving only its Intermodal Yard to the Global Transportation Hub. The City chose not to purchase the full 33-acre parcel of land, which would have added $30 million to the project and required relocating the remaining CP functions into an existing neighbourhood. If CP sells the rest of their property in future, the Railyard Renewal Project will be planned so it will seamlessly absorb the new lands.
Redevelopment of the CP Rail yard will begin in 2015, with completion expected a decade later, in 2025.
- Council report: Regina Revitalization Initiative (RRI) – Canadian Pacific Railway (“CP”) Land Purchase
- CR11-65: Regina Urban Revitalization Initiative
- CR11-99: Regina Revitalization Initiative
- CR12-64: Regina Revitaliztion Initiative (RRI) – Funding Proposal
- CM12-4: Regina Revitalization Initiative (RRI) – Status Update
- CR12-154: Regina Revitalization Initiative Land Purchase